Poetry has existed across cultures for thousands of years. We consume poetry in music, in plays, and in numerous different forms and styles. Many people enjoy reading and writing poetry, but analyzing poetry and improving your poetic vocabulary will help you write more effectively and better engage with the poetry you read.
Individual Skill Course
- Distinguish between formal verse and free verse and recognize the various genres and types of poetry
- Identify the components of a poem, including lines and stanzas
- Hear a poem's rhythm and formally investigate its meter using scansion
- Use and identify various rhyme schemes
- Recognize and apply different poetic devices, including metaphor and alliteration
- Write your own poetry with confidence, starting with the various writing opportunities and prompts in the course
This course includes an “Ask the Expert” feature. You can use this feature to submit questions about course content. A subject matter expert will provide guidance or point you to additional resources for the topics you’re studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs.
- Any modern Office suite: Microsoft Office, Apple iWork, OpenOffice, or LibreOffice
- The latest Adobe Reader/Acrobat Reader ( free download available at https://get.adobe.com/reader/ )
- Reliable internet connection. Broadband cable or highspeed DSL is recommended for optimal experience.
- E-mail account (to be able to register and to receive e-mail from the course system regarding registration, course status, etc.)
"I'm glad you made us write our own exercises. It cemented the learning. I like the way the material was laid out. It was important to see an overview then to be able to drill down into that structure. Hearing poets read and perform their own work was nice!"
Sara Lynn E.
"I love this poetry class. I am new at poetry and was surprised by the content and how easy it was to follow."
Enroll My Team
Are you looking to enroll your team in this training Course? You Can: