A great editor is like a great mechanic. They look at a piece of writing the same way a mechanic looks at a car: they assess the current state, see if it has any issues, and tune it up so it's good to go. As you can imagine, there is no lack of metaphor to describe the task of editing. This training course will help you discern between metaphor and fact to discover the truth of editing. You will learn the foundational principles of copyediting, the golden rules of proofreading, and what professional editors actually do and how you can do it, too.
Individual Skill Course
- Define the three different levels of editing
- Identify and correct the most common errors in grammar and punctuation
- Recall and apply publishing standards for material like images, front matter, and back matter
- Recall the differences between the most popular style guides
- Understand how to use and update a customized style sheet for each editorial project
- Explain what a professional editor does within the wider publishing process
- Recognize and replicate standard editing symbols by hand
- Use digital tools like track changes to communicate suggested edits effectively
This course includes an “Ask the Expert” feature. You can use this feature to submit questions about course content. A subject matter expert will provide guidance or point you to additional resources for the topics you’re studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs.
- Any modern Office suite: Microsoft Office, Apple iWork, OpenOffice, or LibreOffice
- The latest Adobe Reader/Acrobat Reader ( free download available at https://get.adobe.com/reader/ )
- Reliable internet connection. Broadband cable or highspeed DSL is recommended for optimal experience.
- E-mail account (to be able to register and to receive e-mail from the course system regarding registration, course status, etc.)
Enroll My Team
Are you looking to enroll your team in this training Course? You Can: