This training course will provide a general overview for effective communication at work. Learners will review tips and strategies for communicating with small and large groups, being heard in meetings, projecting confidence, and more—especially as these concepts apply to women. This course also considers communication in the context of public speaking, and discusses the importance of understanding the audience, preparing for a presentation, using visual aids appropriately, and more. Learners will be able to identify criticisms of, and biases toward, women speakers, and the course introduces strategies for how to counteract them.
Individual Skill Course
- Recognize gender communication stereotypes and gendered patterns of communication in the workplace
- Identify dysfunctional patterns of communication and describe how to communicate effectively
- Demonstrate how to be heard in meetings
- Create and utilize a bragologue
- Describe the strategies for crafting and delivering effective speeches
- Recognize the importance of understanding your audience and learn how to capture your audience's attention
- Create an effective slideshow
- Handle difficult questions in Q&A sessions
- Recognize the physical and mental symptoms of speaking anxiety and know how to counteract them
- Describe how gender bias affects women speakers and identify how women speakers may self-sabotage
- Recognize common critiques of women's voices but explain why these criticisms are problematic
This course includes an “Ask the Expert” feature. You can use this feature to submit questions about course content. A subject matter expert will provide guidance or point you to additional resources for the topics you’re studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs.
- Any modern Office suite: Microsoft Office, Apple iWork, OpenOffice, or LibreOffice
- The latest Adobe Reader/Acrobat Reader ( free download available at https://get.adobe.com/reader/ )
- Reliable internet connection. Broadband cable or highspeed DSL is recommended for optimal experience.
- E-mail account (to be able to register and to receive e-mail from the course system regarding registration, course status, etc.)
"This module was engaging and offered many powerful tips for communicating that I will be able to put to use immediately."
"I enjoyed the mix of video and exercises. I really like the women you have selected to provide thoughtful insights about communicating."
Enroll My Team
Are you looking to enroll your team in this training Course? You Can: