Technology & Data Science
Essential Business Functions
Innovation & Entrepreneurship
Teaching & Learning
Events & Community
Communicating successfully depends on effective use of communication strategies and behaviors. Words, facial and body movements, tone of voice, even clothing and situation, all form an intricate symbol system that must be quickly translated by those who want to communicate.
It has been said that there is no communication unless a mutual sharing of meaning takes place. It has also been said that one cannot NOT communicate. These two ideas seem to oppose one another, but they are two sides of the same coin. A smile can have many meanings, but so can silence.
This course will show you how to manage the conscious and unconscious codes of meaning people send to each other and how to respond with appropriate codes in turn. You will explore concepts of verbal and nonverbal expression, including personal style, listening, relationship dynamics, self-esteem, conflict management, and cultural and gender communication differences.
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Understand that basics of communication and how to avoid misunderstandings
- Learn how language affects reasoning abilities
- Learn about nonverbal communication and how men and women use it differently
- Understand cultural identity and how it molds habits of communication
- Discover the three main characteristics that make up any relationship as well as the stages that all relationships go through
- Learn how to successfully and efficiently resolve conflicts