Technology & Data Science
Essential Business Functions
Innovation & Entrepreneurship
Teaching & Learning
Events & Community
Are you tired of being intimidated and treated badly by others? Learn specific techniques to become more assertive in all parts of your life. Discover how people manipulate you and how you submit to being a victim. Understand the difference between passive, aggressive, and assertive behaviors, and see how inner dialogues keep people acting in passive ways. Explore ways to change your inner dialogue, such as using affirmations and visualization, creating new labels for yourself and others, and keeping a journal.
Do you think you speak non-assertively? If so, master the skills that will empower you to talk in an assertive manner, including specific verbal techniques and phrases for a variety of situations. Anger and criticism from others are difficult to deal with, so you will get many tips on how to handle these. Because your body can reflect an inner uncertainty, you will learn how to use facial expressions, eye contact, gestures, and your voice to reinforce the assertive statements you're making.
You teach people how to treat you through your behaviors as well as your words, and this course will help you understand which behaviors to use with others so they perceive you as being assertive. When you begin to exhibit your new confidence in relationships, people will counter in various ways. You will learn how to stand firm in the face of this resistance.
Get the assertiveness training you need in order to be more confident and powerful with family members, friends, bosses, co-workers, professionals, service people, and even total strangers. It's your turn to speak up!
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Understand the difference between passive, aggressive and assertive attitudes, gestures and phrases
- Learn to recognize ways you lose power and discover simple adjustments to the way you say things
- Learn to deal assertively with people who criticize or try to manipulate you
- Discover the importance of eye contact, facial expressions, voice, body posture, gait, and clothes to project a more assertive personality
- Learn ways to be assertive in all types of situations whether it is family, social, or everyday life situations
- Learn how to give and receive compliments and discover times when it is best not to be assertive